3D Character Artist
3D Character Artist
The 3D Artist will work independently and collaborate with other artists to build and enhance 3D art assets and ensure that gameplay comes first when it comes to developing amazing characters.
- Ensure all models/assets created (shape, color, shading) reach required quality level
- Model and texture 3d assets from concept art or other visual reference
- Ideate compelling characters and environments, create illustrations and drawing to present ideas and inspire the team
- Participate in cross-disciplinary dialogues to help push ideas from concept to final polish
- Deliver assets within the confines of real-time engine constraints and programming demands
- Collaborate with Art Directors and Designers to create exciting visuals that would improve the user experience
- Optimize use of the 3D software and meet constraints based on project
- Create both high resolution 3D sculpts and final low polygon game assets
- Couple hand painted textures and next-gen materials for use in game engine
- Iterate on game assets with production artists via prototyping and group critiques
- Create models and textures for scene assets
- Trouble-shoot scenes and maintain them within the desired look and function
- Understand the visual style of projects and seek to push it to the next level
- Maintain communication with peers in all departments
- Create, and organize, library of assets and process documents
- Continue building your skills, learning new software, industry trends and traditional art
- Exemplify reliability, accountability, and professionalism in all work-related interactions
Skills and Abilities
- Exceptional understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines and tools including PBR pipelines
- Demonstrated proficiency in traditional hard-surface poly modeling techniques
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers
- Strong artistic ability to visualize three-dimensional space and the nuance of its detail with minimal concept art and direction
- Positive attitude with the ability to give feedback and receive constructive criticism of your work
- Able to manage multiple, competing tasks and be self-directed in a quickly evolving environment
- Excellent organization, communication, and attention to detail
Education and Experience
- 6+ years’ experience in game development as a 3D artist
- Experience in creating visual designs that support gameplay-oriented goals
- Experience with Max or Maya, Zbrush, Painter, Unity or Unreal and Photoshop
- Excellent understanding of human and animal anatomy, form, proportion and scale, and the ability to bend those rules in a creative and stylistic way
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette regarding modeling
- Have shipped at least one AAA title
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Our core hours are 10am to 6:00pm CST, which means you should be available for meetings etc. during this time. You will be required to work longer hours on occasion, especially during periods when staff is working late to meet tight deadlines etc.
No travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. When in office, the ability to move about within the office space is required, with or without aid, for necessity, meetings, and emergency situations. When working remote or in the office, the employee is frequently required to use hands, fingers, and arms for typing on computer, use of mobile devices, reaching, and grasping. Employee is required to have specific vision abilities, close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.